Monday, November 30, 2009

MSA Dinner

On Friday the 20th I dragged my roommate to the Muslim Student Association dinner. Both of us did not really know what to expect. The name of the dinner was called From Original Sin to the Color of Skin: Gender, Class, and Racial Equality in Islam. Upon arriving we were sent to check in. We were given name tags where we would writed our name in English and then one of the students from the association would write your name in arabic underneath it. We got there a few minutes early so we walked around and looked at the exhibits they had. There were a couple prayer areas and people were actually praying at them! It was very interesting I recognized what was happening because of our visit to the mosque, but my roommate seemed as if she had just discovered a completly different world. Next they sat us down at our table and we snacked on pita and hummus while we waited for the speaker to present, yum! After that one of the imans did a few recitings from the quran and after they were translated to english. Then the speaker came out and gave a very interesting lecture which was followed by a question and answer session. Unfortunately it was getting late and we had to leave early so we did not get to enjoy the dinner that smelled amazing. Overall I had a good time at the lecture and I felt like I understood what was being discussed because of the education I have recieved from this class!

2 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about it wish i would have been there cause i would have blended right in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were able to attend this event -- interesting how it showed how much you feel you have learned from our class!

    ReplyDelete