Thursday, September 24, 2009

Turkey!


So far from what I have read about turkery, I have found many similarities between Turkish families and Egyptian families. Women in Turkey have similar roles as the women in Egypt. They are ment to be the one does all the household duties, and does not leave very far from the home. The men are trained to be the educated workers. It is said that women that are more educated in turkey are less fertile and usually only end up producing one child. Because of this women are encouraged to not seek out education and to stay at home and raise the children.


I found a very interesting website called turkish odyssey. It shares with people many interesting facts on women and feminism in Turkey as wel as other general information. Another part about this site that caught my eye was that it was completely dedicated to turkey and even has a link that shows images of turkey. I found the image up top of what looks like a marina in turkey with a beautiful landscape behind.
I am very excited to continue on with my research into the beautiful country of turkey and cannot wait to share it with all of you. While browsing through videos on youtube looking for something on turkey I came across this short clip which displays many of the middle eastern stereotypes we disscussed the first week of class.

1 comment:

  1. This post and the previous one are interesting for what you have learned about families. I enjoyed the video's humorous take on stereotypes about Muslims!

    ReplyDelete